Monday, June 16, 2008

Side-by-Side: Daniel Day-Lewis

Summer has finally given me the opportunity to watch There Will Be Blood (for shame that it took me so long!). As my mind continues to wrap around that fantastic 2.5 hours of film, I thought I'd do a post, possibly the first of a recurring segment, comparing two of an actor's roles side-by-side.

Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect guy to start with. He just lives his parts. As I watched him play Daniel Plainview, I couldn't help but think of his work in The Age of Innocence. The two characters are completely dissimilar, but he has no problem selling either role. His work as the somewhat effete Newland Archer is only a reminder that he's one of those rare and greatest actors who can make you forget he is acting.

Here are two Day-Lewis trailers, the first for Age of Innocence, the second for There Will Be Blood. It doesn't even seem like the same person, does it?








No comments: