Tuesday, April 15, 2008

New Trailers: Which Creeps You Out the Most?

Over at Pop Watch yesterday, Mandi Bierly posted the trailer for The Strangers, and asked everyone to share their own takes on the scariest film trailers they've ever seen. I saw the trailer for The Strangers this weekend, as well as Quarantine, and I think it's time to compare the two. Which is scarier? Watch for yourself, then see my comments after the second video.

(And, for those of you not into the scary stuff, check out the trailer for The House Bunny instead, a new comedy starring Anna Ferris.)

First up, Quarantine...



And now, The Strangers...



Of the two, I think The Strangers definitely gets my award for being the freakiest. First, there's the whole "Based on true events" issue. No one wants to remember that (even though extremely rare) things like this do happen. Another thing that makes The Strangers seem truly terrifying is the casting. Liv Tyler is such a sweet, soft-spoken actress that it's really awful to watch her crawling on the floor, desperate to escape. Whoever chose her was purely genius.

Quarantine is creepy in its own right, but the implausibility factor allows you to keep a safe distance from the horror experienced by the characters. This one, though it's unclear what exactly is going on, lacks the immediacy of The Strangers.

I know I am oddly focusing on horror this week (likely since I saw a horror movie on Sunday for the first time in probably a year and a half), but I promise a return to regularly scheduled fun soon.

No comments: