Thursday, February 28, 2008

Christian Music or Secular? It's Complicated

A couple of weeks ago, a post on True Sheet informed me that Reliant K is considered a Christian rock group. I was surprised. I don’t listen to much Reliant K, but from what I have heard, I would never assume they are a Christian group. The realization set me to thinking about another realization I had back in October. Doing some background reading on Mat Kearney before going to see him perform at a small concert (see unnecessary photo, right), I discovered on Wikipedia that he is also considered a Christian musician and originally started out on a Christian label. I’ve mentioned before that Mat Kearney is one of my favorite artists, so having been familiar with his work for a couple of years (having first discovered him when I heard one of his songs in a JAM tribute on You Tube), the added info was more than unexpected.

I’m not really religious, but I certainly respect those who are. We all have ideas we believe in. I actually have more respect for Mat Kearney, Reliant K, and similar artists for being capable of expressing their spiritual beliefs in song without being as blunt and boring as some Christian music. Knowing Kearney’s Christian background, I still wonder whether many of his songs are about a relationship with another living person or his Christian faith. It’s better this way; I can decide for myself. Like the best art, my own life experience can influence my interpretation of the work.

Kearney doesn’t really make a big deal about it. Nowhere on his website does he make overt reference to Christianity. Though I was worried he would be a bit preachy at his concert, he never actually mentioned religion, and only spoke of the origins of one song (written about his friends’ experience during hurricane Katrina).

The Christian side generates most of the conversation on secularly popular Christian music (and vice versa). This makes sense, since secular listeners and media outlets have basically no stake in the Christian aspect of these artists’ careers, and likely little interest in arguments about whether or not writing music that can be taken as secular is acceptable for Christian artists.

U2 is probably the most popular example of Christian artists who are influenced by their faith without forcing themselves to focus on it solely or adhere to strict definitions of what Christian musicians should write. Their huge success in secular media is simply a reminder that the members of U2 are just like many of their listeners: Christians with more than one aspect of a personality. Given the number of people who associate themselves with a religious faith, especially the number associating themselves with Christianity, it’s clear that the only people listening to secular radio are not atheists and agnostics. Average people want to hear good music that represents everything they care about: love, money, religion, sex, etc.

To close, I’ll just leave you with a little snippet of lyrics from Mat Kearney’s song “Crashing Down.” Enjoy the ambiguity, interpret as you will. And check out the rest of his music if you have a chance. Whatever your beliefs, he’s worth a listen:

These four walls are closing in on me
The talk is louder than I’ll sing
I want to be there, want to be where you are
but you know it all, Every look and smile that aren’t meant to break
I’m over the bridge and under the rain

No comments: