Monday, February 25, 2008

Post Oscars Wrap-Up

I’m not sure what the cheesy, amusement park introduction was all about, but overall the Oscars were not bad last night. The main thing keeping my attention throughout was trying to spot James McAvoy, but hey, the Oscars aren’t really known as the most entertaining night of television.

The fashion was pretty spectacular overall. My favorite for the evening had to be Kristin Chenoweth. Even the night’s worst dressed were talented folks, so we’ll forgive them their fashion faux pas.

Jon Stewart started out the evening strong with a nice Vanity Fair Oscar Party joke. The actors seemed happy, Stewart didn’t seem too nervous. He threw a few too many political jokes in there at the end of his opening monologue, but he still got some laughs. All was well.

My favorite win of the evening was Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for the song “Falling Slowly” from the film Once. The actors wrote the song themselves, the film had a shoestring budget, and the entire soundtrack is just gorgeous. Cutting the mic before Irglova had a chance to say her piece? Not cool, sound guy, not cool. Jon Stewart bringing her back out to speak after commercial? Awesome. Major props to the academy for the pick.

No Country for Old Men took the Best Picture award. I’ve read the novel but haven’t seen the film yet. I still want to see There Will Be Blood more, so I’ll probably just make sure No Country is at the top of my Netflix queue when it comes out on DVD. Check out the full list of the night’s winners over at EW.

1 comment:

Ellenod said...

I was really disappointed by No Country for Old Men winning... There Will be Blood was a far superior film in my opinion. Everyone I know that has seen both of them has said No country is a really strong film, but there will be blood is stronger. And Paul Thomas Anderson should have won for best director! Oh well.